Honors students meet the following rigorous standards:
- Students must take at least four Advanced Placement (AP) courses.(1 English, 1 Math or Science and 2 others)
- Students must complete a minimum 50 hours of community service. Documentation of these hours may begin in the freshman year.
- 9-12 Academic GPA of 3.6 or higher (not including PE or TA classes) by end of the 7th semester.
- Students must complete an autobiographical essay during the senior year, based on the UC application guidelines.
- C’s or higher at the 2nd semester 12 week progress report of senior year.
Honors Graduates wear a white robe and receive a gold cord for commencement.
National Honor Society
The National Honor Society (NHS) is the nation's premier organization established to recognize outstanding high school students. More than just an honor roll, NHS serves to honor those students who have demonstrated excellence in the areas of Scholarship, Leadership, Service, and Character. These characteristics have been associated with membership in the organization since their beginnings in 1921.
Sophomores and Juniors with GPA’s of at least a 3.7 may apply in March. Applications are made available in the College & Career Center and from Ms. Targhetta in Room 504. After an initial review by all faculty members, qualified applicants will have their applications further reviewed by a teacher from each of the core subject areas.
Students who are accepted into The National Honor Society will participate in a one year long service project that serves either our community or international needs. The group meets monthly to discuss and participate in other projects that stand to benefit our school and our city. Dedicated and driven members will be eligible for Letters of Recommendations as well as Scholarships. NHS members wear a blue sash for commencement.