Wildcat Library Policies and Procedures
Wildcat Library’s Mission and Vision Statement:
Our mission is to provide activities and resources to support the school's curricula and to assist students and staff in: 1) becoming effective and discriminating users of information; 2) developing a pattern of lifelong learning; and 3) fostering a love of reading.
Our vision is to help build a generation of students who can successfully meet the challenges of an ever-changing 21st century by providing technology, resources, instruction, and opportunities for collaboration that maximize student learning.
- All books and materials must be checked out at the circulation desk by a Wildcat Library staff member.
- Students must have their current year ECHS issued ID to check out materials. Having a student ID verifies that you are the one checking out the materials and prevents issues in regard to lost or missing items at the end of the school year. It is school board policy that students carry their current ECHS ID while on El Camino’s campus. Remember, you can take a photo of both sides of your ID and store it on your phone. The library can scan your ID photo that is on your phone. No ID, no materials. A very simple rule. If you do not have your ID, the library will place a hold on the material for one day.
- Students may check out up to four library books, this does not include textbooks.
- Library books can be borrowed for 20 school days and can be renewed once. Students may renew at the library circulation desk.
- Textbooks are issued from the AV room for the entire school year and must be returned by the end of the school year.
- To return all borrowed materials, students may use the drop slot that is located at the circulation desk in the library. Textbooks should be returned to the AV room.
Students are responsible for returning all materials promptly and in good condition; any overdue, lost, or damaged materials will be assessed fines based on the following criteria and will become the student’s financial responsibility:
- Library books are assessed a fee of 10 cents per school day past the due date that is stamped in the book.
- Students will be temporarily denied borrowing privileges if they have overdue materials or have not paid for lost or damaged books. If a student has returned all materials and he/she owes less than $2.00 in fees, that student is still able to checkout materials.
- Not sure if you owe overdue library books or textbooks from previous school years? Check out the overdue list that is on the left wall when you first enter the library. Or visit one of the Wildcat Librarian staff members at the circulation desk and simply ask about your record, and we will be happy to help.
- Overdue library and textbook notices are sent to your school issued email account every Monday morning at 7 AM. Not sure how to log in into your school issued email account. Click on the following link:
Username: firstname.lastname@example.org Example: email@example.com
Password: 8 digit birthday Example: 01011991
- There are consequences for students who fail to return or pay for books long overdue:
- Suspension of checkout privileges
- Withholding Homecoming and Prom tickets
- Transcripts withheld until books are returned or replacement fees are paid
- Life happens. Please inquire at the circulation desk on how to pay for or replace missing or damaged books.
Sign-In Procedures and Passes
- No passes are required before 7:30 AM or after 2:20 PM or during Lunch.
- Students coming to the library during periods 1-6 without a teacher must have a pass from class signed by the teacher. No pass means no library use during school time, and the student will be sent back to class. Only one student name per pass.
- If a student has an unassigned period then he/she is welcome to work in the library but the student must present their current ECHS ID and show the attendance verification sticker on the back of the ID to be admitted to use the library.
- All students are required to sign in at the circulation desk and sign out before leaving. This helps with verification and shows that a student was at the library.
- There are 30 computers in the library that are available for students to use to complete assignments.
- Teachers who have signed up to use the library are guaranteed to use the computers first before students who are sent to the library during class time.
- Computers and internet usage should be for schoolwork only. All internet sites should be school appropriate. Computers are not intended for non-educational games and the student’s computer privileges will be revoked in the library if he/she does not comply. The student will be sent back to class or asked to leave the library. Documentation will be sent to the office if further discipline action is required.
- Students are able to print assignments and school related items for free. Any personal printing is 10 cents a page. Color printing is available. Color printing is 50 cents a page regardless if it is school related or personal. Please check at the front desk in regards to color printing.
- The library is a quiet place for students to complete assignments.
- Remember to eat outside before entering the library. Keep water bottles away from the computers.
- Students should sit in the chairs at the tables or computers in the main room. Students are not permitted to sit or lie down on the floors anywhere in the library.
- Cell phone conversations need to be taken outside.
- Hats should be removed upon entering the library.
- ECHS uses Follett Destiny software for all library and textbook transactions. Students and ECHS staff members with internet access and an OUSD login ID may locate, preview, and renew all books and electronic resources in the El Camino High School library collection at:
- Login and password are the exact same that you use to log in to any desktop computer on campus. Plus, every page on the library website has access to Destiny. Just click on the Destiny logo on the top right hand page.