Skip to main content

Work Permits

If you are under the age of 18 and are working while attending high school, you need a work permit.

ATTENTION: There are temporary changes in the process of attaining a work permit during the school closures. Effective March 16, 2020 until further notice.

  • Once you have the job offered to you, email Ms. Caitlin at
    • Please include the following information in the email:
      • The name of the business/employer (i.e. Target, Albertson's, etc.)
      • The address of the business/employer
      • The email address of the supervisor
  • Information will be processed and entered into Aeries
  • A PDF of the official work permit will be emailed to the student and the supervisor


Work Permit Application Forms are available:


Work Permit Process:

  1. Student picks up a Work Permit Application Form in the Career Center or Main Office
  2. Work Permit Application Form must be filled out completely by student, employer and signed by a parent/guardian 
  3. Student drops off completed Work Permit Application Form in the Career Center or in Ms. Caitlin Degrafft's mailbox
    • Please allow at least 48 hours to process
  4. If approved, the information is entered into Aeries and an Official Work Permit is printed and signed by the Assistant Principal or Principal
  5. Student can pick up Official Work Permit in the Career Center


General Rules:

  • Applications must be completely filled out by the student, the employer, and signed by a parent before they can be processed by ECHS.
  • We cannot accept applications without the student’s Social Security Number.
  • We do not process applications for students that are not ECHS students—these students would need to contact the Educational Support Services office—Dora Jaramillo 760.966.7828.


Approving Work Permits:

  • Schools are not required to approve work permits –it is a privilege for a student to be allowed to work while going to school.  School must come first.  Therefore our policy is:
    • Verify SS# and birthdate of student 
    • Check discipline issues
    • Check attendance issues
      • according to CA law, truant students cannot be issued a work permit
    • Check grades—should have at least a 2.0 GPA , no Ds or Fs. 
      • students with low grades/GPA’s may be granted a permit, but are flagged and monitored each grading period
    • AARC students must be approved by their counselor to work
  • Only the Assistant Principal or the Principal may sign work permits
  • Students must maintain a 2.0 GPA, no Ds or Fs, with satisfactory attendance & behavior or the permit may be revoked


Frequently Asked Questions—CA state law: State Law Website


hours of work table