Skip to main content

Free DACA renewal assistance flyer

Undocumented Student Resource Center



immigrants rising inclusivity poster

Immigrants Rising is a wonderful compilation of resources for students who are undocumented to help navigate the process of applying to colleges and for financial aid. There are many more on the website but here are a few that seem especially helpful:


Checklist for applying for the California Dream Act (CADAA)


Checklist for applying for CalGrants through CADAA


Step by step instructions for a successful application


Submitting an AB 540 affidavit 


Scholarships that don't require proof of US citizenship or legal permanent residency 







Many people think because they are undocumented that they can't get financial aid for college and this is NOT TRUE! Although you won't be eligible for federal financial aid, you can still qualify for state financial aid and aid from the institution you will be attending. Instead of filing FAFSA, students who are undocumented can apply for the California Dream Act (CADAA).


Who's eligible to apply for CADAA?


You are eligible to complete the CADAA at Dream Website if you:

  • Are undocumented
  • Have a valid or expired DACA
  • Are a U Visa holder
  • Have Temporary Protected Status (TPS)
  • Meet the following California nonresident tuition exemption (commonly known as AB 540)

What are the nonresident exemption requirements under AB 540?

  • Attendance for 3 or more years at a California high school, adult school, or community college; 


  • 3 years of California high school credits and 3 years total attendance in any combination of elementary school, secondary/middle school, or high school in California


  • Graduation from a California high school or the equivalent (GED, HiSET, TASC, CHSPE); or
  • Attainment of an associate's degree from a California Community College; or
  • Fulfillment of the minimum transfer requirements from a California Community College to a CSU or UC campus


To obtain your AB 540 eligibility, you will be required to fill out an affidavit and provide supporting documentation to the campus Residency Deputy, Admissions Office, or Registrar of the college or university you will be attending. You should seek to complete this process in the spring or summer before you begin attending (or in fall for those who will be starting school in the spring).